Are you ready to honor that New Year’s commitment to explore and apply the art of ‘deep nutrition’ to achieve your health and wellness goals in 2017? Are you considering making your passion for spreading the gospel of ‘real food’ an actual career? If you answered yes to either question, the upcoming Lardmouth Series is for you!
August 2017, for the first time ever, Lardmouth will be offering a Teacher Training Program/Certification, with completion of Level I & Level II as prerequisites. If you think you might like to become certified as a Lardmouth Ancestral Cuisine Academy instructor, and you haven’t yet completed the preliminary courses... now’s the time!
Or maybe you bought Sally Fallon’s seminal cookbook Nourishing Traditions and can’t seem to figure out how to get started... now’s the time!
But just what IS ancestral cuisine you wonder? I’m glad you asked!
We hear a lot about food these days. Words like 'low-fat' and 'cholesterol-free' are being replaced by words like 'farm-to-table' and 'locally grown'. It's an exciting time to be a 'foodie' to say the least!
But when it really comes down to it, what constitutes a 'healthy diet' anyway? Is it vegan, Paleo or Whole 30? Is it ketogenic, gluten-free or Mediterranean? Does it really matter if our food is organic? Free-range? Grass-fed? Where do we look for answers? Which authorities do we turn to for accurate information?
If you're confused by all the hullabaloo then welcome to the club! It's downright crazy-making to tackle these questions in today's atmosphere of media saturation and information overload! The good news is that there are answers to these and other questions relating to optimal nourishment in the twenty-first century, but where do we find them? Ahhh... this is where it gets interesting.
As it turns out, there was a man of our great grandparent's generation who was likewise confused. As a dentist, he was in a unique position to observe the first visible signs of the negative impact industrial food was having on the youngest members of our society. Being a man of great curiosity in possession of an innately scientific mind, he sought answers to questions similar to our own by asking other questions. Questions like... are there, anywhere on the planet, people embodying the highest degree of physical excellence as represented by perfect dental health, while simultaneously enjoying robust immunity, un-compromised reproductive function and longevity? If so, what are they eating?
It's been said that a genius isn't necessarily someone with all the answers, but rather someone who knows which questions to ask. By that standard I believe we can safely say that Dr. Weston A. Price was indeed a genius. In a quest to discover truly healthy human specimens; those impervious to both the rampant infectious and escalating degenerative diseases of his time, Dr. Price- assisted by his intrepid wife Florence, dedicated ten years to circumnavigating the globe in search of the 'perfect' diet. Fourteen countries and countless notes, photos, film reels and food & soil samples later, this real-life 'Indiana Jones' returned to his clinic in Cleveland Ohio to coalesce the vast information into his seminal manuscript Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
You might be wondering what commonalities he unearthed. What did the Eskimo diet have to do with the Polynesian diet? The Swiss Alps diet to do with the Peruvian diet? The Native American Canadian diet to do with the diet of the Maasai tribesmen/women of Kenya? And more importantly, did any of their diets confer the kind of health Dr. Price was so eagerly seeking? The answers to these as well as the most pressing nutritional questions of our own day are exactly what we're going to explore in this six-week 'ancestral cuisine' series.
We'll discover what the dietary elements; grease, guts, bones, grass, shoots and pickles have to do with imparting genetic wealth in the form of lasting immunity to both infectious and degenerative disease, reliable reproductive capacity, longevity and most importantly the highest level of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual expression one can hope to attain in human form.
What are these crazy-sounding elements you ask? Why they're the very dietary principles Dr. Price found to be consistently employed by our wise ancestors around the globe; men and women, young and old, who were the absolute personification of the perfect health he sought to discover! They are as follows:
- Grease - vital saturated fat and cholesterol
- Guts - organ meats and offal
- Bones - meat-on-the-bone, meat stock & bone broth
- Grass - safe-to-consume raw, pasture-raised animal food
- Shoots - properly prepared seed foods and grains
- Pickles - lacto-fermented & cultured foods
A few of these food categories may be familiar to you, if only by way of memory; perhaps your grandparents enjoyed them. Others may be popping up on hip-restaurant menus in your very own community. Still others may be unfamiliar, baffling or downright scary sounding!
If you're interested in learning more about these six ancient dietary principles and how they have served to impart much sought-after beauty, immunity, functionality and longevity to our species since the beginning of human history, join us for this in-depth exploration into the world of traditional food preparation. Here are just a few of the topics we will pursue:
- How our dietary choices influence the development and course of the most feared diseases and disorders of our time.
- How attention to the dietary protocol of mothers and fathers-to-be was the number one priority of our wise ancestors, and how to restore and protect the genetic wealth of your own lineage for generations to come utilizing their tried and true food wisdom.
- How these ancient food preparation techniques were translated into 'haute cuisine' as far back as the 17th century, and later refined by the father of classical French technique, Georges Auguste Escoffier into the very flavors we now identify with 'five-star' cookery.
- How to apply the 'six principles of ancestral cuisine' to breakfast, lunch and dinner in your own kitchen, seven days a week, three-hundred and sixty-five days a year and love it!
We will divide our class time between discussion/exploration and hands-on kitchen skill-building, and of course tasting! Come ready to create and sample such gustatory delights as:
- Duck Fat French Fries w/ Homemade Lacto-fermented Ketchup
- Roasted Bone Marrow/Herb Butter on Sourdough Crackers
- Naturally Sparkling Lemon & Heirloom Beet Kvass
- Coconut Milk/Lemon Grass & Salmon Head Soup
- Crispy Almond Cookies w/ Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
I am confident that you will leave this class series with an understanding of what constitutes truly deep nutrition, as well as the skills to begin implementing these concepts in your own kitchen right away. Moreover, I guarantee that those lucky enough to be on the receiving end of your serving spoon will be absolutely blown away by the depth of flavor you bring to the table once in possession of this ancient knowledge. I look forward to sharing this life-altering journey with you!
Level I Ancestral Cuisine Series
- Tuesdays May 2 thru June 6 from 10AM to 1:30PM in Del Mar
- Tuition is $360
Level II Ancestral Cuisine Series
- Tuesdays June 13 thru August 1 (breaking for July 4) from 10AM to 2PM in Del Mar
- Tuition is $390
Teacher Training Weekend Retreat I
- Friday thru Monday August 18 to 21 in Rancho Santa Fe
- Tuition TBA
Email Annie via the ‘Contact’ page for enrollment information.